We want to welcome you into the fellowship of Christian believers known as First United Methodist Church in Iraan, Texas. We are a community of persons who are seeking a deeper relationship with God, through the example of Jesus Christ, and the guidance of the Holy Spirit. May you experience God's grace while you are a part of the ministry here at First United Methodist Church.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Advent devotional for November 30th



Christmas at our house was my mother's favorite holiday. Mother loved to shop for birthdays, anniversaries, just because, you name it, buying for others was her favorite hobby! With four children and an enormous extended family, the tree was barley visible some years. We always had a wonderful time at her house on Christmas morning. One year, 1980 to be exact, my brothers and sisters were given specific times to arrive at the house. Must be some special surprises!

Imagine the look on our faces when we walked into the den and underneath this beautifully decorated tree were three gifts. That is it! One box for the boys, one each for my sister and myself. You would think we received a lump of coal. However, looking into my mother's eyes I knew there was more, much more to this story. she instructed us to open them at the same time; it was a one, two, three GO moment.

The room was silent except for the gasp you could hear from each of us. There at that moment we thought we had little to receive was a box of yesterdays and too many memories to remember. For the boys, the train set they had received when they were 7 & 8, just like new with every single piece intact. Everything had been repaired and repainted, by my Mom. For my sister and me we opened the box to find the first doll we had received as children. The dresses they wore were handmade, every stitch sown with love. Mine had a bonnet, did not remember that, but when she removed it, all her hair had been cut off. I do remember that! That is when my Mother made the plan to put these things away and hold onto them.

You see, my mother's favorite Christmas was when we received these same gifts the first time. She said she would never forget the joy and the hugs she and my Dad received from us. It happened again, what seemed like very little in the beginning became so much more precious to us. Best Christmas ever, again. Oh yes, after awhile she brought in a big box and had her special gifts she always gave us. it was Mom, she could not help herself. Little is much.

Gini Christian, San Angelo District Ministries Coordinator

No comments:

Post a Comment